Once, not so long ago, Farragut was the largest town in Idaho, with a population over 50,000. World War II had caused the area to grow overnight, as the U.S. Government established the Farragut Naval Training Station in 1942. Just several years later, what was once the world’s second largest naval training station was nearly nonexistent. Most of its 776 buildings were sold or removed—some of which made their way to Sandpoint.
In 1949, buildings from the former naval training station were floated across Lake Pend Oreille to Sandpoint to replace the Page Hospital. The land along the southern tip of Lake Pend Oreille that had made up the station was put up for sale, and so began the beginning of today’s Farragut State Park.